Monday, September 21, 2009

I need to stick with this blog. I feel like it could be a good documentation of my first year at college, and as of today, I'm promising that I will post an entry for each day that I'm here, on campus (when I go home on weekends or set off to see Megan, I can't make any promises).

Today marks Day 3 of my college experience. Over the past couple of days I have moved in, settled down in my dorm, and met several people whose names and faces I will never remember. I have promised mix cds to girls on my floor and have forgotten who they were, I have given out my number to people I had minimal interest in from the start, and I probably jumped around too much at the ice cream social/DJ L-Freak "dance party" (one giant mass of people standing around, eating popsicles, and occasionally grinding on each other).

I have met two significant people as of now.

There is Anna Muriello and she's from La Crescenta and knows a lot of my friends from back home, so this is proving to make things extra comfortable and familiar. She went to Sacred Heart, she wears floor length gypsy dresses and has curly brunette hair. She dresses adorably all the time, we share a love for The Parson Redheads, and we've already become co-dependent when it comes to going out and arranging plans together. She doesn't like giant rodents or footed snakes, she lives for Robert Francis, and has a boyfriend named Fernando. I won't lie - I'm glad that Anna and I are friends, otherwise she would totally be a threat because she is just so damn cute and wonderful. It should also be noted that Anna has the most attractive guy friends, and that upon closer speculation, they are also really funny and outgoing - this was determined after a late night in my room, 15 of us sitting around eating oreos and listening to The Kinks.

Then there is Nico Druzhinin. He caught my attention the first night, at another freshmen mixer where everyone gathered around a fire pit to make smores and listen to really loud hip hop music. He was standing alone with a backpack, wearing a black wife beater and cuffed jeans with his black chucks. He had thick chops, chest hair, and thick framed black glasses - he was wearing a cute bowler hat too and really had the greaser/rockabilly look going for him. I was contemplating how attractive I found him, just standing there looking a bit misplaced when I just went for it, approached him and said something dumb about how I was diggin' his facial hair. His eyes lit up and conversation commenced, essentially lasting all night. He is originally from Belaruse and moved to the states in 1999. He speaks fluent Italian and Russian, and it's incredibly sexy when he does. He's lived in the SF area since arriving, plays the trombone, and is savvy with funk and soul. He's somewhat tainted when it comes to girls and relationships after his ex girlfriend, his favorite movies include Pulp Fiction and The Godfather, and he owns a chocolate toy poodle named Baron, haha. I like him a lot and see him becoming a really great friend.

Then there is Michael Cresto, who I'd been eyeing even prior to getting here - he is a Vegan of 5 years, super athletic, undeclared major who already has floozies on his tail (slipping notes under his door, seeking him out in his room, leaving phone numbers on his white board - it's day three, girls. let's have some class) but is very uninterested, and actually proved to be incredibly talkative and friendly when he came by my room at 1am and stayed for about an hour and a half. His smile is a heartbreaker, he has two felonies charged against him (he explained himself - he was framed by his arch nemesis), wants to transfer to Boston University and I'm definitely hoping he'll make more frequent stops.

There are the obvious friends: Molly Nugent and her super sweet room mate Nicole Gee. Vartan Azizian and Rachel Doran, my friends from home. Joshua Greenberg, who I have yet to see on campus but will likely make lunch plans with later this week.

Today I am missing the big, welcome ceremony in order to switch around my classes (let's free up Friday?) and go to my group job interview in the city at 6pm. I'm signing up for yoga classes later in the afternoon with Anna and Molly and tomorrow I'm going back home for the afternoon to pick up more stuff and spend time with my mom, who I'm already missing tremendously. I think it also goes without saying that I miss my best friend. A lot. :(

The food here is decent and I've been feeding on salads, tofu, fruit, soy milk. I've been good about steering clear of sweets and crap food, so I've been enjoying meals - nom nom nom.

I'm waiting for the bathrooms to simmer down from activity and then I'm taking on a brand new day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment